Adult shoppers usually start with style. Kids start with... well, fun is usually the best place to begin a kids bean bag shopping list! And how do you measure fun? Based on our experience, it's a mix of favorite activities, favorite colors or animals, and practical considerations like material and size—hey, someone has to be the grownup in the room.
A Bean for Every Scene
Bean bag chairs are soft, comfortable, colorful, and shapely, with styles designed for all the activities kids love most. In this case, "kids" refers to children up to about 7 years of age. In terms of size, these chairs average about 27 inches in diameter (or less). Styles such as pillow loungers, which are designed for napping or playing on the floor, are both wider and shorter.
Here's a list of some favorite children's activities and the bag that might be a good match:
- Video games: gaming bean bags, which feature supportive ergonomic backs, and may include storage or "sweet spot" designs for extra long-term seating comfort.
- Imaginative play: loungers offer inspiring seating for kids, including classic cartoon and doll characters.
- Playing house: our chairs selection, without question, is the place to look for armchair-style bean bags just like Mom's or Dad's.
- Watching TV: bean chairs offer higher-backed designs than loungers and a more defined seating spot.
For themed bedrooms and playrooms, or for young animal lovers, we'd recommend our fun shapes selection, which includes cupcake, dog, bear, elephant, and sports-themed children's bean bags.
Practical points for parents
Filling and material are the two things you should keep in mind if you're concerned about durability or ease of cleaning (for safety, all bags feature a childproof zipper).
Most kid-sized bags are filled with polystyrene beads instead of foam. There are several reasons for this:
- Beads are lighter and less dense than foam.
- Beads feel more like beans.
- If the bag's getting saggy, refilling it with virgin bean bag beads (see our accessories section) will bring it bouncing back to life.
Almost all materials can be spot cleaned with mild soap/detergent, water, and a soft cloth. Our most popular materials include:
- Polyester (i.e. "other fabrics"), a great choice for colorful graphics and patterns
- Twill, which is favored for its durability
- Vinyl, a wipe-clean material for active kids
- Faux suede, offering "big kid" style and color for bedrooms
- Soft, high-quality chenille (including Fun Furnishings' removable, machine-washable bags)