PB4Y-2 PrivateerItem#: HN-TAMC170
- U.S. maritime patrol bomber
- Propeller-driven aircraft, four engine
- Handcrafted, hand-painted mahogany construction
- Scale: 1/66th
- Operators: U.S. Navy, U.S. Coast Guard, Royal Canadian Air Force, others worldwide
- Time in operation: 1943-1958
- World War II era
- Manufacturers: Consolidated Aircraft
- Length: 13.6 inches
- Wingspan: 20 inches
Developed from the B-24 Liberator, the PB4Y-2 had a number of significant design changes compared to the original aircraft, including a large single tail, all put in place to optimize maritime patrol work, which was performed at a lower altitude than the B-24's strategic bombing tasks. Nicknamed the Privateer, the PB4Y-2 saw service in both World War II and the Korean War, and served as a sea storm hunter for nearly ten years. The last Privateers were retired, from Coast Guard service, in 1958, though they continued flying as airborne firefighters, dropping fire retardant on large fires throughout the U.S. After an accident in 2002, all flying Privateers were finally retired.
This model Privateer is painted here in a U.S. Navy finish as would be used in World War II. Precise craftsmanship and detail work ensure that this beautiful model will be a favored piece for any enthusiast or collector.
Dimensions & Specifications
# of Pieces
Toys and Models