Celestron CGE Pro Computerized German Equatorial MountItem#: HN-CELE319
For help and guidance, call our optics specialists at 1-800-303-5877.
In addition to being fully computerized with a database of over 40,000 celestial objects, the New CGE Pro German Equatorial mount has been completely redesign to offer numerous design advantages for the Astrophotographer:
Increased Payload Capacity
Able to hold our 14" SCT telescope more securely as well as larger optical tubes up to a maximum payload of 90lbs.
All-Star Polar Alignment
Choose any bright alignment star for a software assisted alignment of the mounts polar axis that will have you ready for imaging even if you can't see the North Star.
No-Tool polar alignment
Larger hand knobs for both Altitude and Azimuth adjustments.
Extended tracking pass the Meridian of up to 20 degrees of uninterrupted imaging through the best part of the sky.
Faster slew speed
Improved gearing and motors provide faster slew speeds than ever before with a maximum slew rate of over 5°/per second.
Redesigned electronics deliver constant regulated power to the motor capable of driving the telescope even when not perfectly balanced. This allows the CGE Pro to have the payload capacity of that of much larger (and expensive) mounts without sacrificing smooth tracking motion and pointing accuracy across the entire sky.
The hallmark of any telescope mount is its ability to find, center and track celestial objects with the highest degree of accuracy.
Finding a star…
With just a standard hand control alignment, CGE Pro has the ability to center a star in your eyepiece or ccd chip to within 5 arc minutes. Using NexStar's advanced pointing features such as Calibration Stars, Sync and Precise GoTo, further improves the pointing accuracy to as low as 1 arc minute in the desired region of the sky.
Tracking a Star…
With larger .75" pitch diameter worm, precision made cut-steel gears in gearboxes, and seven slot skewed armature motors the CGE Pro delivers typical tracking performance of +-9 arc seconds, which can be further reduced with the mounts permanent periodic error correction (PPEC).
In addition to these improvements, the Celestron line of German Equatorial mounts has long been recognized for features preferred by visual observers and astrophotographer alike. Among them include:
Portability – Set up and transportation of the CGE Pro telescopes is made easy by separating the mount into smaller, easy-to-carry components. Unlike fork arm mounted telescopes, the CGE’s optical tubes can be quickly removed from their mounts making even the CGE Pro1400 easily assembled in minutes.
Stability – Recognized for superior stability, German Equatorial mounts place the center of gravity directly over the tripod legs and can be easily polar aligned without the use of an optional equatorial wedge. This proven design reduces the “tuning fork” vibration that can be associated with undersized fork mounts. An improved Super HD Tripod supports the CGE Pro mount. This fully extendable tripod is made from the finest 2.75" stainless steel and can be raised to a height of 55". The tripod uses a dual leg support for maximum rigidity with an upper leg brace to provide an outward preload and a lower leg brace providing inward tension.
Balance – CGE Pro equatorial mounts can easily be balanced in both axes. Simply sliding the counterweight for Right Ascension and moving the optical tube along its dovetail mounting for Declination accomplish balancing the weight of camera equipment and other visual accessories. This means that no additional weight needs to be added to balance the telescope when additional accessories are added.
Clearance – CGE Pro mounts support their tubes at a single contact point allowing the tube to move freely around its polar axis without making contact with the telescope’s mount. Software features allow the user to set the mounts slew limits to guaranty safe motion. This is particularly useful when adding photographic and CCD instruments that extend from the rear of the telescopes.
All CGE mounted telescopes are compatible with Celestron’s CN-16 GPS accessory. Combine the GPS and built-in real time clock and these telescopes will keep track and remember their exact location and time without having to enter the information into the hand control.
- CGE PRO computerized Equatorial mount
- Heavy duty stainless steel tripod adjustable from 38 - 55"
- One 22 lbs counterweight
- Weighs 154 lbs
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- 40,000 object database with 400 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- New All-Star Polar Alignment routine for both Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
- Software Features include: Database Filter Limits, Hibernate, five alignment methods and user-defined slew limits.
- Flash upgradeable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- Double line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable star; solar systems; objects and asterisms
- Permanent programmable periodic error correction (PEC) - corrects for periodic tracking errors inherent to all worm drives
- 12VDC Servo Motors with integrated optical encoders
- Drive Motors - High quality motors with seven slot skewed armature to minimize magnetic cogging for quiet operation and long life. Precision made cut-steel gears in gearbox for Improve tracking precision.
- Bearing and Shaft - Main shafts are made from 1.57" diameter steel tubing with .40" wall thickness with two preloaded 2.68" O.D. tapered roller bearings on each axes
- Precision worm drive system - .75" pitch dia. precision made steel worm preloaded with two .87" OD ball bearings to minimize run-out (a source of periodic error). 255 tooth 6" pitch dia. precision made worm wheel with enveloping brass tee
- Spring loaded DEC worm to minimize backlash and for easy guiding.
- 4 point RA and DEC clutch system for no-slip pointing precision
- Autoguide port, PC port and auxiliary ports located on the electronic pier for long exposure astrophotography
- Rugged 9-pin thread on motor cables
- Latitude range: 10º to 65º northern or southern hemispheres
- RS-232 communication port on hand control to control the telescope via a personal computer
- Includes NexRemote telescope control software, for advanced control of your telescope via computer
- GPS-compatible with optional CN16 GPS Accessory (93967)
Dimensions & Specifications
Telescope Accessories Series
Celestron Telescope Mounts
Celestron CGE PRO Telescopes
DocumentationDownload Celestron CGE PRO Series Telescopes User Manual
- Works with CGEM or CGE Pro only
- Threaded barrel connector on DC plug prevents power-offs due to inadvertent cable pulls
- Delivers up to 5A @ 12 VDC, plenty of power to run our biggest mounts with heavy loads
- Switching-type AC-to-DC power adapter provides more power with less weight than transformer-style power adapter
- For use with all Celestron computerized telescopes
- Transforms 110-volt current into 12 DC volts
- 6-foot cord offers mobility
- 2.5-ampere rating
- Eliminates the need for batteries
- APO (Nagler-Petzval) Refractor
- 101mm objective
- 540mm f/5.4
- Sliding metal dew shield
- Tube ring-mount with mounting threads
- 2" Everbright Diagonal
Suggestions for You
Reviewed by 1 customer
Displaying review 1
- Any Star Polar Alignment
- Appealing to the Eye
- Automatic Indexing
- Easily Adjusted
- Easy One Person Setup
- Easy to Breakdown
- Fast Commanding Slew
- Good Footing
- Locks In Tight
- ROCK SOLID MOUNT
- Smooth Movement
- Very Few Wires
- Very Precise
- Altitude Adjustment
- Need Tools to Setup
- No AC Power Supply
- Semi Permanent Mount
- Special Events
Comments about Celestron CGE Pro Computerized German Equatorial Mount:
OK, I've had this mount out four times now and I have to say it Rocks compared to my other mounts. The two star alignment with calibration stars is flawless once the mount is set up properly. The slew rate is extremely silky smooth and commandingly swift. Once you have taken most of the mount error out you can enjoy dead on accuracy.
I especially like the any star polar alignment feature, however, the altitude and azimuth adjustments could have been given a little more thought during the design phase of this mount. When the mount is fully loaded with the full weight of the payload capacity it is very difficult to turn the adjustment screw for altitude when performing the polar alignment. However, the adjustments are a big improvement compared to my other Celestron Mounts.
Sure wold be cool if the altitude and azimuth adjustments were motorized. Maybe on that other mount Celestron is currently designing.
I have a 10 inch reflector with and 80mm refractor riding piggyback that I use on this mount and the entire tube assembly with camera gear weighs approximately 43lbs. After balancing the mount the payload comes in at almost exactly 90lbs. This mount slews it around with little effort and achieves dead on accuracy. I am really impressed with the engineering quality.
The only downside is that the mount is a bit of a chore to set up and break down but it is well worth the effort when you realize that you get a ROCK SOLID observatory grade mount that is portable. You can't beat that. I built a pad and a deck especially for this mount so I have a dedicated place at home to set it up which makes the observing experience more enjoyable.
The CGE PRO mount is in my opinion an excellent choice for astrophotography. It does have a hefty price tag but if you can afford it it is well worth the price.
I have not done any long time exposures yet as I am still familiarizing myself with the mount so I cannot comment in this area.
The only grip I have is with Celestron. Throw in an AC power supply guys and include two counter weights not one. That's not asking too much is it?