Celestron NexStar 8 SE SkyQ Link Telescope BundleItem#: HN-CELE665
What's Not Included
iPad® not included
An 8 inch telescope is the right amount of aperture for viewing just about anything in the night sky. The Celestron NexStar 8 SE Telescope sets up and breaks down quickly (check out the video) and is great for taking to dark sky locations.
The largest of the NexStar SE family with 78% more light gathering than a 6-inch model, the Celestron NexStar 8 SE Telescope will enable you to see deep into the universe. The distinctive patented fork arm with ergonomically designed integrated hand control cradle gives solid support to Celestron’s classic 8-inch optics. The Celestron NexStar 8 SE Telescope features Schmidt-Cassegrain 8-inch aperture optics with Celestron's premium StarBright XLT coatings and a powerful 2,032mm focal length and f/10 focal ratio.
The Celestron NexStar 8 SE Telescope has all the same features as Celestron’s most advanced computerized GoTo telescopes, including the revolutionary SkyAlign™ alignment technology, a sky tour feature, a database of over 40,000 celestial objects and easy to use hand control.
The universe may be full of mysteries, but using the NexStar 8 SE isn’t one of them.
Whether you are a seasoned astronomer looking for a portable scope with advanced features, or just starting your astronomy adventure and looking for an easy way to enjoy the night sky, a Celestron NexStar SE telescope will help you take a closer look.
Every Celestron NexStar SE telescope includes a version of The Sky® software Level 1 Planetarium Software for exploring the Universe on your PC and printing out custom star charts of the sky. In addition, you receive the Celestron NexRemote software that allows you to operate your telescope via your PC. Software package valued at over $100 included free with your NexStar SE Telescope!
General Features for the Celestron NexStar 8SE Telescope
- 8-inch Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope
- SE combines the classic heritage of the original orange tube telescopes with the latest state-of-the-art features
- StarBright XLT high transmission coatings come standard
- Quick-release fork arm mount, optical tube, and accessory tray for no-tool setup
- Celestron's unique patented single fork arm with integral hand control design provides a rigid and smooth operating structure for the optical tube
- Sturdy computerized altazimuth mount
- Ultra-sturdy steel tripod with accessory tray
- Star diagonal provides more comfortable viewing position when observing objects that are high in the sky
Computerized Auto-Locating GoTo Technology
- Proven NexStar computer control technology
- 40,000 object database with 200 user-definable objects and expanded information on over 200 objects
- SkyAlign allows you to align on any three bright celestial objects, making for a fast and easy alignment process
- Flash-upgradable hand control software and motor control units for downloading product updates over the Internet
- Custom database lists of all the most famous deep-sky objects by name and catalog number; the most beautiful double, triple and quadruple stars; variable star; solar systems; objects and asterisms
- DC Servo motors with encoders on both axes
- Autoguider port for long exposure astrophotography
- Double line, 16-character Liquid Crystal Display Hand Control with backlit LED buttons for easy operation of goto features
- NexRemote telescope control software and RS-232 cable included for advanced control of your telescope via computer
Using the Celestron NexStar 8SE Telescope
The NexStar 8SE is powered in the field by 8 AA batteries. How long the batteries last is highly variable. The more objects you have the telescopes slew to and the longer your observing sessions are will vary how long the batteries last.
Selecting Eyepieces for the Celestron 8SE Telescope
The NexStar 8SE Telescope includes a 25mm (81x the naked eye) eyepiece. This eyepiece is great to get you started with your new telescope, but to complete the viewing experience you will want to get more eyepieces. The NexStar 8SE Telescope comes standard ready for 1.25 Inch Format telescope eyepieces.
About Celestron Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescopes
Celestron’s excellent Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes are compact and portable and represent the best all-purpose design for a wide variety of uses from terrestrial and deep sky viewing to astrophotography.
Catadioptrics use a combination of mirrors and lenses to "fold" (reflect) the light path and form an image. In a Schmidt-Cassegrain, the light enters through a thin aspheric Schmidt correcting lens. It then strikes the spherical primary mirror. It is reflected back up the tube and intercepted by a small secondary mirror which reflects the light out an opening in the rear of the instrument where the image is formed at the eyepiece.
Catadioptrics are the most popular and most modern type of telescope optical design and are marketed throughout the world in 3.5" and larger apertures. Catadioptric telescopes combine the practical advantages of lenses and mirrors while eliminating their disadvantages. They offer the clarity and contrast of refractors with the low aberration of reflectors. Catadioptrics have an average focal ratio of f/10, which is wide enough for all types of photography. They are also easier to maintain because all optical elements are solidly mounted and rigidly collimated. Catadioptric telescopes provide the best possible combination of light gathering power, long focal length, portability and affordability.
Celestron's innovative new SkyQ Link WiFi Module takes the technology behind our SkyQ app even further by activating a wireless control feature for most computerized Celestron telescopes. More than merely enabling completely wireless operation (including telescope alignment) , the SkyQ Link Module will allow you to automatically slew the scope to an object with a simple tap on your iPhone®/iPad® planetarium interface. And a SkyTour feature will even generate a list of the best stars, galaxies, and nebulas to see based on the user's time and location.
- Complete wireless control of your celestron telescope
- Telescope alignment - align your telescope wirelessly using Your iPhone® or iPad®
- Planetarium interface - Tap on any object displayed on the SkyQ Sky view screen and instantly slew your telescope to that object
- Sky Tour - Generates a list of all the best stars, galaxies and nebulas to view through your telescope
About the Celestron SkyQ App (available at the Apple App Store for iPhone® and iPad®)
At its essence, Celestron SkyQ is a personal, pocket-sized guide to the cosmos that can locate and identify virtually any object in the night sky. From helping to plan a deep sky viewing session, or charting the landmarks of the lunar landscape, to tracking the International Space Station, SkyQ is a star map unlike any other - intuitive, interactive and eminently engaging.
The remarkable SkyQ database includes thousands of heavenly bodies, including the complete Messier and NGC catalogs, hundreds of breathtaking celestial images, and hours of entertaining and educational audio covering the most famous sights in the Universe. Plus, there are built-in links for expanded information, a Tonight's Sky feature for curent viewing suggestions, and even a Moon phase calendar. The SkyQ App is available on the iTunes Store for $4.99
- Easy-to-use astronomy application to locate and identify virtually any celestial object visible in the night sky
- Over 4 hours of audio for many of the most famous objects in the sky including - Planets, Galaxies, Nebulae and the brightest stars
- Wikipedia links for expanded information on the most popular clestial objects (WiFi connection required)
- Works on all iPhone®'s, iPad®'s and iPod® Touch devices with the latest firmware (iPhone® 3GS/4/iPad® or iPad®2 required for compass support)
- Tracks the International Space Station (ISS) and predicts sightings
- "Tonights Sky" will keep you up-to-date and give you suggestions for the best objects to view when you head outside
- Moon phase calendar, detailed lunar map and visible planet graph helps you keep track of the events in our Solar System
- Jupiter's and Saturn's moons positions as seen through a telescope
- Night Vision Mode
iPad® and iPhone® is a registered trademark of Apple Inc.
Celestron Eyepiece and Filter Kit
Every amateur astronomer needs telescope eyepieces, lenses and filters, and you'll want to take advantage of this amazing deal - available for a limited time! The Celestron Eyepiece and Filter Kit is one of the most versatile accessories you can own.
Celestron Telescopes Eyepicece and Filter Kit includes:
Five superior-grade, 1.25-inch Plossl eyepieces - 4-element design with a 52-degree AFOV (32mm has 44 degrees ) - superb color resolution, edge sharpness and clarity. All eyepieces are fully multi-coated for maximum contrast and resolution. Included are 6mm, 8mm, 13mm, 17mm and 32mm focal lengths.
2X Barlow lens - complements Plossl eyepieces in this kit and gives you a total of 10 magnification combinations. High-grade glass optics with fully multi-coated lenses are used to avoid image degradation.
Six 1.25-inch, colored, lunar and planetary eyepiece filters - Included are Kodak Wratten #12, #21, #25, #56, #58A, and #80A. These filters will greatly enhance your enjoyment of our solar system.
1.25-inch moon filter - A neutral density filter that allows maximum enjoyment of moon-viewing, especially during the brighter phases.
Aluminum carrying case - This sturdy case accommodates all of the other items in its die-cut foam interior and even offers room for additional accessories. The dimensions of the case are 12.5 x 10.25 x 4.5 inches. You'll want to pick this kit up now, before the special price goes away.
Dimensions & Specifications
Alt-Az Mount, GoTo
Good for Astrophotography
Highest Useful Magnification
Single Fork Arm-Altazimuth
Astrophotography, Viewing Galaxies/Star Clusters, Viewing Nebulae, Viewing the Moon, Viewing the Planets
.68 Arc Seconds
.57 Arc Seconds
Celestron NexStar SE Telescopes
For the Expert
- For use with all Celestron computerized telescopes
- Transforms 110-volt current into 12 DC volts
- 6-foot cord offers mobility
- 2.5-ampere rating
- Eliminates the need for batteries
- Built-in flashlight with red filter cap
- Energy efficient LED spotlight
- Cigarette lighter adapter included
- 110V/220V switchable universal AC adapter included
- Two 12V output cigarette lighter ports
- This case will hold the NexStar 8SE telescope
- This case will also hold 9-11 inch OTA's
- EVA Molded to protect telescope
- Hard, yet flexible shell
- Includes wheels and an extendable handle