Celestron SkyProdigy 102 Refractor TelescopeItem#: HN-CELE543
THE SMARTEST TELESCOPE IN THE UNIVERSE!
A truly revolutionary product with ground breaking technology, SkyProdigy is the product of a culmination of decades of telescope advancements. It combines electronic motors, an intelligent on-board computer, a digital camera and StarSense™ technology to create an automatic, instant alignment telescope that requires no input from the user. Simply turn it on, push a button and enjoy the view! It’s that easy.
The SkyProdigy’s automatic alignment process takes only a few minutes, and you will be ready to select from thousands of objects in its database to view. Not quite sure what to look at? Select the Sky Tour option; this feature offers a customized list of the best objects in the sky to view for your exact time and location anywhere in the world!
No knowledge of the night sky is required. One touch innovation turns anyone into an instant astronomer!
Celestron’s SkyProdigy telescopes use an integrated imaging camera and patented StarSense Technology to automatically align with the night sky and determine where the telescope is currently pointing. The camera automatically captures an image of the sky, which is processed internally to positively identify stars in the image. Once a positive match is found, SkyProdigy determines the coordinates of the center of the captured image. The process is automatically repeated two additional times so that the system has three known alignment points that can be used to make an accurate model of the night sky. From this information, the user can select any celestial object in the hand controller’s database, and SkyProdigy will automatically move itself to the correct position.
*The SkyProdigy’s internal camera does not have an external output allowing users to view or save captured images. The captured images are used internally solely for the purpose of self-aligning the SkyProdigy telescope.
- More Than Twice the Light Gathering Power of the SkyProdigy 70
- Fully Automatic Alignment Procedure
- Fully Computerized Altazimuth Mount
- Quick-Release Fork Arm Mount and Optical Tube for Easy, Quick No Tool Set Up
- Sturdy Stainless Steel Tripod and Accessory Tray
- CD-ROM The SkyX First Light Edition Astronomy Software Which Provides Education About the Sky
- Battery Pack Providing Over 30 hours of Power
SkyProdigy 102 - Computerized Mount Features
- Proven Computer Control Technology
- Database Allows Telescope to Automatically Locate Over 4,000 Celestial Objects
- Proprietary StarSense Technology Provides a Completely Automatic Alignment Process With No User Intervention Required
- Flash Upgradeable Hand Control Software for Downloading Product Updates Over the Internet
About Celestron Refractor Telescopes
Celestron’s high-quality refractor telescopes allow beginners to improve upon Galileo’s vision with a simple, reliable design that is easy to use, requires minimal maintenance, and is versatile enough for land or sky viewing. Known for viewing planetary detail and splitting close double-stars.
A refractor telescope uses a lens as the primary. The lens at the front of the telescope bends the light passing through it until it comes to a single point called the “focal plane”. The long, thin tubes of refractor telescopes look much the same as those Galileo used centuries ago. High quality optical glass and multi-coatings provide today’s sky watchers views Galileo never dreamed of.
The refractor type of telescope is very popular with individuals who want mechanical simplicity, rugged reliability and ease of use. Because the focal length is limited by the length of the tube, refractor telescopes become quite bulky and expensive beyond a four inch aperture. This limits the light gathering properties of refractor telescopes, but it is an excellent choice for beginners and those who prefer simple operation and versatility. Refractor telescopes are also a popular choice because of their unobstructed view, high contrast and good definition.
- Easy to set-up and use
- Simple and reliable design requires little or no maintenance
- Excellent for lunar, planetary and binary star observing especially in larger apertures
- Good for terrestrial viewing
- High contrast images with no secondary mirror or diagonal obstruction
- Color correction is good in achromatic designs and excellent in apochromatic and fluorite designs
- Sealed optical tube reduces image-degrading air currents and protects optics
- Objective lens is permanently mounted and aligned
- More expensive per inch of aperture than Newtonians or Catadioptrics
- Heavier, longer and bulkier than equivalent aperture Newtonians and Catadioptrics
- The cost and size factors limit the practical maximum size primary to smaller apertures
- Some color aberration in achromatic designs (doublet)
Dimensions & Specifications
8 D Cell
Alt-Az Mount, GoTo
Good for Astrophotography
Highest Useful Magnification
Astrophotography, Viewing Galaxies/Star Clusters, Viewing Nebulae, Viewing the Planets
Celestron SkyProdigy Telescopes
For the Beginner, For the Enthusiast
- Five superior grade Plossl eyepieces - 1.25 inch format
- 4-element design with a 52-degree apparent field of view - 32mm has 44 degrees
- Superb color resolution, edge sharpness and clarity
- 6mm, 8mm, 13mm, 17mm and 32mm are included
- 2x Barlow lens
- Six colored filters & Moon filter
- Aluminum carrying case for keeping it all together
- Significantly reduces light pollution
- Sky background is darker
- Great for city and suburban observation
- Boosts contrast in any environment
- 1.25 Inch format - simply attach to eyepiece
- Connect your camera to your telescope
- Use this adapter in place of an eyepiece
- Use along with appropriate T-Ring for your camera
- T-Rings sold under accessories below