Furnishing Your Home with Indoor Benches
The indoor bench is one of the hardest working pieces of furniture in your home. It's also one of the most usable pieces that doubles as a quick extra table, seating or storage and always at home as a place to perch your bags when you come in the door. Find an indoor bench that's ready to be one of your home's most prized pieces.
What are the types of indoor benches?
- Entryway and mudroom bench: Just about any bench can go in the entry or mudroom if it fits. One key is durability in these high-traffic spaces, try and choose a solid wood construction topped with a polyester seat cushion with storage bins or baskets beneath. Look for benches with cubby storage or drawers that keep gloves, hats, and shoes neatly organized. You might also choose a two piece bench that has a storage shelf with hooks for hanging jackets, dog leashes, and other items.
- Settee bench: A settee is a small upholstered sofa typically with arms, a back and a narrow seat. These versatile pieces can be used in elegant foyers, at the end of a bed, or pulled up to the dining table for extra seating. It's a type of bench that's generally not used for storage. Instead, they can add some personality to wide hallways, TV rooms, or anywhere else you might want stylish seating.
- Bedroom bench: The typical end-of-bed bench is upholstered or tufted because you'll want to sit on it often or lay your clothes on it. It has a soft appearance to fit in with a tranquil bedroom. It should be a few inches shorter than the top of your bed and about six inches in from either side so you don't bump into the bench. Many models have a flip top for extra linen storage.
- Ottoman storage bench: Ottoman storage benches often double as coffee tables, extra seating, and entry benches. They can have built-in lift top cushioned lids that reveal storage. Sometimes the lift tops flip over and become trays to hold drinks on top of the bench.
Related: Find more inspiration for your home with Storage Bench Ideas for Every Room.
What bench styles can I choose?
Benches of any type come in an array of styles, materials and finishes to fit into any decorating scheme or room.
- Upholstered benches have seats covered in fabric over a layer of stuffing. These can be more comfortable to sit on and can also allow you to add a little more style with your fabric choice.
- Non-upholstered or wooden benches have seats without stuffing or fabric. You can add bench cushions to the area where you sit to make it more comfortable. This also gives you the opportunity to change out your cushions with new colors and patterns as the seasons change.
- Rustic benches may have a country look with exposed wood grains and knots that add more textural detailing.
- Mid-century modern benches often have sleeker, unadorned shapes. Their storage areas may look more geometric with straight or gently curving lines that mimic natural shapes.
- Farmhouse benches tend to be a little more French country and come in light white or neutral colors. They may have beadboard panels or carved bases that add some eye-catching detail.
- For elegant or traditional interiors, look for leather or faux leather benches with nailhead trim.
You can use indoor benches all throughout your home. The simple indoor bench is extremely versatile, functional and decorative. After the entry and end of bed, there are plenty of places to put a bench. You can even move them from room to room since they're so portable.