How to Choose a Recliner That Keeps You Comfortable
Today's recliners are made with style, sleeker silhouettes, high legs and more features than recliners of yesteryear. Recliners, like sofas, should last anywhere between 7 to 15 years. It helps to know the difference between the types of recliners on the market now and we have helped narrow them down.
What are the different types of recliners?
- Push back: The common manual type of recliner requires using hands to recline or has a lever on the side to help you push back.
- Power recliner: Just like the seats of a car, you can push a button on a recliner to adjust comfort, recline and control foot rest. Models may come with memory preset capabilities to save your favorite reclining angle. Adjustable powered headrest and built-in USB port options available on power models.
- Power lift: A version of a power recliner that tips forward and rises up to help you get out of the recliner easier.
- Wall hugger: Space-saving wall huggers have a limited range of reclining and sit up straigher so it can be pushed further back against a wall.
- Massaging: A version of a power recliner that has back and lumbar massage mechanisms and heated seat option.
- Recliner and ottoman: A two-piece recliner and separate ottoman. This style is ideal for contemporary and small spaces.
Which recliner materials are most comfortable?
- Fabric: Recliners used daily need durable synthetic fabrics to feel soft but are stain- and pill-resistant. Perfect for homes with pets.
- Leather: Durable and desirable for recliners because it looks and feels luxurious.
- Microfiber: Durable, easy to maintain and comes in many colors to match your preferences.
- Faux Leather: Bonded leather and vinyl are leather-alternatives that keep recliner costs affordable.
Extra Advice: How to Buy the Right Recliner
Do recliners come in different sizes?
Look for small recliners for petite people under 5-and-a-half feet all the way up to extra-tall for people over 6 feet. Oversized recliners can measure over 50 inches wide, 24 inches between the arms.
How much room does a recliner need?
Before shopping, measure your space. You need to know if your space can adequately fit a reclined chair.
- You'll need between 1 to 3 feet of space from chair to wall to accommodate reclining.
- An average recliner measures about 77 inches when fully reclined and 35 inches wide. You'll need a space that's at least 80 inches long and 40 inches wide to fit the chair.
The comfort of a recliner can relieve stress and help you relax. Plus, today's new designs look even better in your home than before. Consider your space and the material that'll work best in your home, and enjoy revamping your living room or entertaining area with one of these comfortable chairs.
Related: 10 Stylish Recliners for Any Room