enjoy easy outdoor storage with deck boxes
Useful storage solutions aren't just for your bedroom closet! Even outdoors, it's helpful to have plenty of places to tuck away those hoses, furniture cushions, gardening tools, and pool floats — all while keeping them right within reach. That's where deck boxes really come in handy. These weather-resistant, trunk- or cabinet-style storage containers stow whatever you can fit inside, protecting it from the elements and keeping you organized in the process.
What are the best deck box designs?
Deck boxes all have storage options and weather resistance in common, but their wide range of styles really lets their personalities shine. As you're shopping, envision the different styles in your outdoor space, and select the design that has that just-right blend of form and function you love. Common deck box styles include:
- Traditional boxes, which resemble large trunks with hinged lids
- Storage benches, which have seats, backs, and arms like regular benches but feature storage compartments below the seats
- Storage ottomans, which give you a comfy place to kick up your feet while providing storage space in their bases
- Cushion-storage boxes, which are longer to fit chaise lounge and other cushion types
- Outdoor storage cabinets, which resemble lockers or kitchen cabinets with doors and may have shelves inside
What size deck box is right for me?
You'll notice that, in addition to dimensions listed in inch measurements, deck box capacities are also listed in gallons. Many deck box measurements describe the outer dimensions of the box. The gallon capacity tells you the interior storage space where you'll actually keep things. Understanding the gallon capacity can help you visualize the available storage space in a different way.
More: Tips for Choosing an Outdoor Deck Box
What deck box material and features should I consider?
We love how a deck box can become a beautiful decorative accent. From warm wood to sleek resin, the choice is yours. Common material options include:
- Resin, a durable, synthetic material that can be molded to look like wood, stone, and other natural materials
- Wood, which comes in a wide range of finishes and offers less breathability; look for a moisture-resistant wood like teak or eucalyptus
- Plastic, which is lightweight, colorful, and easy to move around the yard
Depending on how you plan to use your deck box, you can find a design to suit your needs. Look for some of these helpful options to get the most from your deck box:
- Locking casters, which can help you wheel the box around your patio easily
- Hardware that lets you lock up the deck box for secure storage
- Benches that come with removable cushions for comfortable seating
- Cubbies, shelves, or dividers for organization inside cabinet-style boxes
Your deck or patio is an outdoor living space, after all, and the right deck box can be a big help in keeping that space organized. Consider the design, size, and features as you shop to find the perfect outdoor storage solution, for your great outdoors.