How to Choose a Patio Dining Set
To make your outdoor dining space feel truly 5-star, you'll need to start with the perfect patio dining table and chairs. As the centerpiece of your dining space and home to some of your most special meals and memories, the dining set you choose should be stylish, durable, and inviting. We're here to answer your questions about choosing a patio dining set, so you can create a space that looks and feels amazing.
What size table do I need for my patio dining set?
Most patio dining sets are designed to accommodate between two and eight people, with a recommended minimum of 24 inches of space per guest. Use this rule of thumb to determine which size you'll need.
How many pieces do I need in my outdoor dining set?
When shopping for a full dining set, remember that the number of pieces in the set reflects the number of chairs PLUS the table. So for a patio table that seats four, look for a 5-piece set. For a group of eight, choose a 9-piece patio dining set.
How tall should my patio dining set be?
Traditional dining table heights fall between 28 and 30 inches. Depending on your preferences and the layout of your deck, yard, or patio, you may find that a balcony- or bar-height dining set, measuring between 34 and 36 inches, is right for your space.
Which materials are ideal for an outdoor dining set?
When choosing patio furniture, durability and convenience are two of the most important factors. To select the best material for your patio dining set, consider your local climate. Do you experience a lot of rain, snow, or hail? Is your patio exposed to lots of sun? Do you live in a particularly windy region?
You should also consider the amount of maintenance each material requires. If you keep a busy schedule and can't commit much time to cleaning and caring for your patio furniture, choose a low-maintenance material such as powdered aluminum or recycled plastic.
- Resin Wicker, or all-weather wicker, is a long-lasting, weather-resistant synthetic fiber weave wrapped over a metal frame. Wicker patio dining sets are known for their convenience, requiring minimal care, as well as their superior durability in rainy, humid, and ultra-sunny climates.
- Aluminum, prized for its strong-yet-lightweight construction and weatherproof powder coating, aluminum is one of the most popular outdoor materials available. Aluminum patio dining furniture is sturdy enough to withstand wind and weather, but still easy to arrange and store thanks to its light weight.
- Wood, while they require a bit more maintenance than resin wicker or aluminum pieces, wooden outdoor dining sets are still some of the most sought-after patio products. This is thanks to wood's natural beauty and exceptional durability when properly cared for. Teak patio dining furniture is especially renowned for its durability and performance.
- Wrought Iron, heavier than aluminum and prized for its wind resistance and strength, wrought iron outdoor dining furniture is known for its sturdiness as well as its distinctive appearance. Natural wrought iron is more vulnerable to moisture than other outdoor materials, but weather-resistant finishes can seal out the elements and prevent rusting.
Related: Best Patio Furniture for Where You Live
Which dining table shape is best for my patio set?
The shape of your patio dining table will depend on the size and layout of your space, as well as how many people you plan to host.
- Round: If mealtime in your home involves plenty of conversation, consider a round dining table where everyone can see one another.
- Oval: Oval dining tables boast the same smooth, curvy lines as round tables, but their elongated designs allow them to accommodate more people with a smaller footprint
- Rectangular: Like oval tables, rectangular dining tables can accommodate larger groups of people in a space-saving design
- Square: Square dining tables are another great option for facilitating conversation. Each diner gets their own side of the table, and can easily see everyone else
When choosing outdoor dining furniture, look for pieces in the shapes, styles, and materials that best suit your lifestyle. If you keep these important factors in mind while shopping, you're sure to find the perfect patio dining set.
Get Inspired: Outdoor Dining Set Ideas
(with Photos) for Your Backyard
Learn More: From size and shape to number of pieces follow these 6 Steps to Choosing the Best Patio Dining Set for creating the optimal outdoor dining space!