For centuries the fireplace has been the focal point of the room, creating a natural gathering place that expresses the style of your home. Whether traditional, modern, sleek, or rustic, choosing the right fireplace screen is the perfect way to add beauty and refinement to your space. With such a wide variety of designs, sizes, and materials available, selecting the optimal piece can be tough. That’s why we’re here to help! Read on to build the ideal look for your well-appointed home.
The Fireplace-Screen Scene
Fireplace screens can provide a beautiful accent to your room while protecting children, pets, floors, and furnishings from heat and errant sparks. So how do you choose the one that’s right for you? We’ve got you covered with these handy tips to help you in your selection.
Things to consider …
- Material: Choose a material that fits your lifestyle. Metal mesh screens allow for more heat to get through and circulate while still providing protection from sparks. Glass offers even more protection against sparks than mesh, but isn’t as permeable for heat.
- Style: Stationary screens give a streamlined look, while designs with hinged sides allow for more adjustment and a customized look.
- Handles: If you’re planning to adjust your screen often, look for one with top handles for easier and safer movement.
- Size: Be sure to choose a screen that provides adequate coverage in terms of both height and width for added safety and protection.
With so many options at Hayneedle, there’s sure to be a style to fit your fancy and effortlessly complement your décor.
From ornate brass Victorian-era masterpieces to the sleek, simple beauty of Mid-Century Modern, the addition of an antique-style fire screen is one of the most surefire (ha!) ways to add a nod to vintage charm. The classic looks of Art Deco geometrics or floral Art Nouveau flourishes are certain to create the look of a bygone era while providing modern convenience and safety.
If you’re looking for a screen that’s functional, beautiful, and certain to fit a variety of styles, the amicable design of a traditional screen is your ideal. Available in a variety of designs, and crafted of materials such as glass, iron, copper, and brass, you can choose your panel size and finish, creating a sustainable look that will stand the test of time in your home.
If you live in a downtown loft or more modern dwelling, the distinctive, sleek appeal of a contemporary look might better suit your style. Simple and without overwrought ornamentation, this look adds understated elegance without fuss. Focusing on clean lines and crisp, subtle finishes, contemporary styles add a refined, upscale appeal.
If you yearn for a simpler life far outside the bustling city, the scenic screen is just right for you. Depicting natural beauty, this unique accessory is sure to transport you to a rustic cabin or country retreat. It’s the perfect way to add a touch of casual elegance to your home, transforming your fireplace into a work of art.
Sizing Up the Choices
To determine which screen size is right, measure your fireplace opening, adding 10 to 12 inches to the width, and 3 to 5 inches to the height. To make it even simpler, Hayneedle offers a handy “shop by size” feature. Single panel screens are the easiest to fit and create simple, streamlined beauty. Multi-panel designs feature an elegant curved effect but are a little more complicated to size.
Some screens feature doors, which can be either freestanding or built-in. Freestanding doors are built into the screen, and dimensions are for the screen itself, not just the doors. Built-in designs fit directly on the fireplace, so the dimensions are for the doors themselves.
General Tips for Safe Use
Fireplace screens are a wonderful way to add safety from heat and sparks while creating a lovely atmosphere, but they’re not the only measure that should be taken.
- Be sure your chimney is inspected and cleaned yearly, and test smoke alarms to ensure they’re in proper working order before lighting a fire. And finally, take special care to keep small items away from the fire so as not to attract children or pets too close to the source.
- When used safely, the hearth truly feels like the heart of the home, providing a warm, glowing beauty that friends and family will love to gather ’round.