Finding the right office chairs for your workspace can make it much easier to stay comfortable and focused on important tasks. You may even be able to solve some posture issues with ergonomic chairs, or boost the overall style and appeal of your office. Set your creative wheels in motion with this guide to picking out the best desk chair for your needs.
Office Chair Types
When considering office chairs, finding the right functionality is often the best place to start. There are so many different chair styles to choose from, so it helps to narrow down your options within types of chairs. Once you know which desk chair best suits your needs, then you can find the right design elements for your office.
Office Chair Materials
The material you choose for your desk chair can impact not only how comfortable the chair is to sit on but also the overall style of your office. Style can be particularly important for a home office, so don’t overlook the importance of this feature as you shop. Most people like to make their office space as functional as possible, yet cohesive with the rest of their home decor. Here are a few chair material options to consider:
Leather or Vinyl Chairs
Leather office chairs usually have a classic look and feel, though some designs are more sleek and modern. For a more traditional look, go for a leather chair that’s tufted or trimmed with metal nailheads. Real leather is generally more expensive than faux leather, but that often translates to better durability with proper care and maintenance.
Upholstery is often the best choice if you’re on a budget or want a chair that’s easy to clean and has a functional, modern look. You may be able to find fabric-upholstered office chairs with interesting or unusual patterns, but many styles of these chairs use solid, simple colors like black, dark blue, or maroon. Another option is a mesh chair, which offers airflow through the chair’s seat and back material.
Hard Surface Chairs
If durability is a top consideration, an office chair with a hard surface may be your best choice. Plastic chairs are naturally spill-resistant and are often a budget-friendly option, too. A wood desk chair provides classic styling with the flexibility to add your own cushion if desired. Both plastic and wood are also long-lasting chairs since their materials can’t be snagged, punctured, or easily stained.
Office Chair Features
There are several basic features to think about as you make your office chair decision. Though you may consider these factors secondary to chair type, they are important factors that will play a role in the comfort of your new chair. Take a look at the pros and cons of these popular office chair features:
In your search for the perfect desk chair, you will navigate through a multitude of features. Keep these tips in mind as you shop, and be sure to look out for a chair with the elements that are most important to you.
- Lumbar Support: Many chairs offer fixed or adjustable lower back support. This can be helpful for supporting your back if you spend long periods of time sitting at your desk.
- Massaging Chairs: Need a little refresher by afternoon? A massaging chair gives you the luxury of having a soothing back massage, and some models even offer a heat option.
- Big & Tall Chairs: Shop these styles if you’d like a chair with extra seat or hip room, as well as a higher weight capacity. Big & tall chairs are designed to support you in all day comfort.
- Swivel Feature: Many chairs rotate 360° but some do not. If this is important to you, be sure to check the specifications before you buy.
Office Chair Styles
Just like other pieces of furniture, desk chairs come in a wide range of design styles to appeal to different tastes. Whether your home office has a mid-century vibe or you’re looking for modern chairs to outfit a new office space, you’ll find what you love by exploring a variety of design styles. Click through to see examples from these popular office chair collections:
Don’t forget to think about your own personal preferences as you shop. Take your time to evaluate the features you’ll find most useful, and then invite your décor style to come into play as you choose a chair that’s ergonomic, comfortable, and attractive.
Ready for More Office Inspiration?
- See our tips for How to Choose the Best Desk for Your Home Office Space
- Enhance your office with the perfect side chair. Read Design Style Profiles: Accent Chairs
- Keep everything in its place with our ideas for 5 Ways to Organize Your Home Office
- Check out this chic workspace and see How to Design a Creative Home Office