From front porch rockers and poolside chaise lounges to picnic tables and conversation sets, protect the outdoor furniture you and your family love to use. Before you start your search for furniture covers, check out our recommendations for finding the right patio furniture cover ideas for your home.
Your skin isn’t the only thing that needs protection from the elements. Outdoor furniture covers safeguard your furniture from rain, snow, wind, and ultraviolet rays from the sun. Cover up your furniture so it always looks pristine when you want to enjoy the view from your backyard.
Types of Outdoor Furniture Covers
Patio furniture covers fall into two basic categories:
- Universal covers are designed to match multiple types and styles of outdoor furniture. These covers fit any piece of furniture that’s within their dimensions.
- Tailored covers are custom fit to specific pieces of furniture. These covers are designed to coordinate with particular furniture lines, and they provide a better fit and more protection than universal covers. However, it’s also possible to use them as universal covers as long their dimensions match the furniture.
Features of Outdoor Patio Furniture Covers
When shopping for outdoor furniture covers, you want a product that protects the furniture from the elements and is easy for you to use, so look for these features:
How to Measure Outdoor Furniture for Covers
In order to get the greatest protection from your outdoor furniture covers, you need covers that actually fit your furniture. Covers that are too big may let too much air under the cover, which can carry away lightweight pieces or leave excess fabric draped at the edges of the furniture where water and dirt can accumulate. If the cover is too small, it won’t cover the items adequately and may leave the furniture exposed to the elements. This is why it’s important to carefully measure outdoor furniture. To find the right dimensions, you need the following measurements.
- The height of a piece of furniture is the distance from the ground to the top of the item. When measuring the height, be sure to include feet underneath the item and decorative details at the top.
- Length and/or width refers to the distance between the item’s sides. To measure the length, move from the left to right along the front of the piece of furniture.
- Diameter is the measurement across an item shaped like a circle or oval. To calculate the diameter, measure from side to side across the center of the table, ottoman, fire pit, or smoker.
Some pieces of furniture can be tricky to measure because they’re oddly shaped. If you need a cover for a grill, make sure you take into consideration whether you keep the side tables up or down when you’re not using it, and measure accordingly. When measuring patio umbrellas, get the dimensions of the circumference (the distance around the closed umbrella) at the widest point. This helps you find a cover that fits the entire umbrella.
The Ideal Way to Protect Outdoor Furniture
Whether you’re getting prepped for winter or to protect your investment from a storm, outdoor furniture covers are the perfect solution when you’re short on storage space. With so many options for patio furniture covers, you’ll want to measure carefully and browse a wide selection to find just the right fit. From chair covers and patio table covers to a great selection of specialty outdoor furniture covers, find a way to keep every piece on your patio protected and ready for entertaining.