Call it a recliner, a lounger, or your living room centerpiece: by any other name, that amply stuffed chair is just as sleep—oops, sweet. It’s also the luxury seating that no home should be without, providing unrivaled comfort and convenient features, with an abundance of traditional, modern, or transitional styles.
For ultimate relaxation, be sure your recliner not only fits your space, but also has the right width so you can settle in comfortably. Small recliners are great for apartments and rooms with limited space, while oversized recliners provide plenty of room for one or a cozy spot to cuddle with your partner or pets. See below and shop by size to find the perfect recliner to suit your needs.
- Small Recliners: up to 33 in. wide
- Standard Recliners: 34-44 in. wide
- Oversized Recliners: 45+ in. wide
Style is a great place to start narrowing down your options. These three brief snapshots should give you a good indication of which style would work best for your decorative and seating needs.
Traditional is the most popular recliner style, and with good reason. It emphasizes all the best things about the seating experience, including generous dimensions, napping-friendly features, and casual yet classic design elements that suit most home decors. The most distinctive details of traditional include:
- Wide arms that are rolled or rounded, plus large padded footrests for kicking back with your feet up.
- Decorative accents such as nailhead trim, button tufting, and turned legs.
- Oversized luxury, including wide arms, with dimensions typically around 36 to 44W inches (the only downside is that traditional recliners tend to be bulkier and blockier, and almost always come with a footrest rather than a matching ottoman).
- A balanced selection of leather, faux leather, fabric, and microfiber upholsteries with solid colors—particularly brown—predominating.
- Last but not least, many traditional designs have a rocking feature in addition to the standard recline.
Many of the modern recliner styles at hayneedle.com display hints of mid-century modern and European design influences, but modern, in a word, is more than just “style.” It’s also about technology and lifestyle-conscious features. Here are some of the characteristic details you’ll find in our selection:
- Unlike traditional designs, most modern recliners feature a matching ottoman, a versatile combination that’s equally at home in a living room, TV room, or even a home office or business.
- Leather and faux leather upholstery are modern standards and are often paired with a wood or metal base, legs, or arms—an appealing combination for texture-conscious decorators.
- Slimmer contours are typical, with a mix of clean lines and fluid curves. Most of these chairs measure between 25 and 36W inches.
- A rounded pedestal base is common; most of these designs come with a 360-degree swivel feature.
- Modern excels at ergonomically oriented designs, including multi-position recline and zero-gravity support.
Fluid, intermediate, a passage from one style to another—transitional means all of these and more. Transitional recliners offer a style that lies somewhere between traditional and modern, and they typically display at least a few of the following features:
- Though less ornamental than traditional, transitional designs retain familiar elements such as wingbacks and button-tufted upholstery, but without the oversized dimensions of standard recliners.
- Versatile aesthetic elements that suit most decors, including texture-oriented designs such as upholstered wood with distinctive fabric patterns.
- A neutral and somewhat earthy color palette, with brown and off-white tones complemented by black, silver, and more.
- A more contemporary sense of line and form, combining curves and straight lines with simple, minimalist contours.
Style may reign supreme, but shoppers shouldn’t forget about functionality. Here are three recliner types that offer added convenience for your decorative and/or seating needs.
Small living rooms or heavily furnished TV rooms are no obstacle to added seating comfort with these wall-hugging designs, which save floor space by allowing placement within mere inches of the wall.
Your TV’s remote control is more than enough manual labor for your recliner seating experience. A lounger with power lift and/or recline takes all the work out of doing absolutely nothing.
Relax in the ultimate comfort with an oversized recliner. Want more hip room, a snuggle spot for your pooch, or extra room to just stretch out and recline? You can rest assured your needs will be met in one of these comfy, big recliners.
Along with basic movement options such as glide, swivel, rock, or push-back recline, look for recliners with cup holders, tablet holders, or even a massaging feature to get the most out of your casual seating.
In addition to fabric and leather upholstered recliners, you’ll find a selection of faux leather recliners at hayneedle.com that are made with polyurethane. Not all polyurethane leather is created equal, though. Some is synthetic and some contains the fibrous part of an animal hide.
If you need more detail on a particular recliner’s material, call hayneedle.com at 1.888.880.4884. We offer easy and fast shipping, with some recliners shipping next day.
Upgrade the seating experience in any room with an irresistibly comfortable and tastefully stylish recliner.